About

Beginnings

1936 - 1940

Glyn T. H. Ing was inspired throughout his life by the vision of a restored, transformed and prosperous China. For the young Ing, engineering was the pathway to accomplish his goals. In 1936, he graduated with a civil engineering degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China¡¦s foremost engineering school. Early positions with the Lung-Hai Railway Management Bureau and the Chuan-Kang Transportation Bureau gave him exposure to China¡¦s war-torn border regions in the northwest and southwest at the height of the anti-Japanese resistance.

Pioneer

1941 - 1947

Ing set up his core company, Wei Dah Corporation, in 1941, based in Chungking, Sichuan Province, during the period of anti-Japanese resistance. Its main business was the construction of military compounds, aircraft landing strips, and other defense facilities, but with the defeat of Japan and the end of the war in 1945, Wei Dah swiftly turned its attention to rebuilding the nation.

In 1945, Wei Dah was restructured as Continental Engineering Corporation (CEC), a name that symbolized Ing¡¦s dream of bringing restoration, transformation, and prosperity to the continent. CEC¡¦s corporate headquarters relocated to Shanghai after the war, and set up branch offices in Nanjing and Taipei as its business grew.

Move to Taiwan

1948

1948 was a year of rapid change in China¡¦s politics, when CEC moved its headquarters to Taipei and continued post-war reconstruction.

 

 

Growth

1949 - 1963

In 1949, Taiwan was still recovering from the Pacific War. There was huge demand for construction services. State-run and private construction companies alike experienced rapid growth.

From the beginning, CEC deployed advanced technology, raising the bar of overall industry standards and establishing a firm foundation for its future growth. CEC took the lead in introducing new technology, such as prepakt concrete pile, the most advanced construction technique in the world at the time, which it used at Taiwan¡¦s first nuclear reactor at Tsinghua University. Other major projects completed by CEC during this period included the Tunghai University dormitories designed by I. M. Pei; the Taipei Mosque; the 1000-bed Taipei Veterans General Hospital; US military bases; Hsinchu and Chingchuankang airport runways; aircraft hangers; the Office of the President; and the Shihlin to Dachi tunnel.

Taipei Mosque

Tunghai University dormitories

Setbacks

Kuang Wu Villa

Postal Center of Riyadh

1964 - 1985

In 1964, the government granted veteran-run RESA Engineering Corp. an effective monopoly on public construction projects, eliminating private sector competition in government construction.

CEC turned the setback into an opportunity by pursuing new markets overseas. CEC became the first construction company in Taiwan to engage in international construction, with projects in Okinawa, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Middle East.

Domestic projects completed during this period included technically challenging works such as Yuanshan Bridge, and Taipei¡¦s iconic landmark, the Grand Hotel. The Yuanshan Bridge was Taiwan¡¦s first and the world¡¦s longest span, balanced cantilever concrete structure bridge at the time. CEC also built Taiwan¡¦s first multi-story residential complex, Kuang Wu Villa, ushering in a whole new concept of urban living. At the time, this complex was the first of its kind in the bustling eastern district of Taipei.

Reform

1986 - 1994

In 1986, Ms. Nita Ing was appointed CEC President with a mandate to turn CEC from a family-run business into a modern, professionally managed corporation. It recruited professional managers by offering them performance-based career growth and rewards, and the opportunity to set strategic directions for the company as well as management.

CEC¡¦s recent projects have been among Taiwan¡¦s most technically complex. Its name is associated with advanced technology in engineering and construction, as well as its strong stance on environmental protection and building efficiency. It was a key contractor for the Taipei Metro, building its tunnels and underground stations, as well as taking on the technically challenging Bihtan Bridge. For this project, CEC developed the steel caissons that were used for deep foundation excavation, for which it won the Construction Technology Automation Award in 1992. CEC is no longer focused solely on civil engineering. During this period, it also re-energized its property business and began seeking scale expansion. Among the iconic projects of this period was award-winning residential development, ¡§The Village.¡¨

In 1994, CEC became a publicly listed company on the Taiwan Stock Exchange, a key step for business growth and success. Its listing helped it build the financial scale and human capital for larger and more complex civil engineering projects.

Rapid Growth

1995 - 2004

In 1998, CEC was one of the key contractors in the world¡¦s largest Build-Operate-Transfer project, the Taiwan High Speed Rail. This project was the single most significant infrastructure project in decades, and as Taiwan¡¦s first ¡§bullet train¡¨ has dramatically improved intra-island transport. CEC constructed the viaduct section from Changhua, Yuenlin, to Chiayi covering a total of 79.4 km (approximately 25% of the total route length of the project), and two technically challenging high-speed rail stations, at Taichung Wuri and Kaohsiung Zuoying.

In 1999, CEC was awarded its first turnkey project, the Taipei Metro Tucheng Line Extension contract CD550, including civil construction, track, rolling stock, signaling, power supply, system integration, testing, and commissioning.

The construction of high-speed rail and the metro system gave CEC opportunities to partner with leading German and Japanese contractors, an experience which has enabled CEC to improve its capabilities in design, construction, project management, and execution of mega-projects. These partnerships have helped build the foundation for CEC to expand into the overseas market in the coming years.

International Expansion

CEC restructured to streamline operations.

2005 - 2015

Starting in 2005, CEC accelerated its exploration of international markets. It set up subsidiaries and branch offices in India, Hong Kong, Macau, and Malaysia, where it was awarded high-profile transportation projects.

In 2006, CEC acquired a significant interest in American Bridge Company (ABC), which served as a foothold in the US market.

In 2007, Nita Ing was elected chairman of the board and CEC was reorganized to better reflect strategic goals in the domestic and international markets. In 2010, Continental Holdings Corporation (CHC) was established to manage CEC and its affiliated companies. CHC was publicly listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange. CEC was then delisted and became a subsidiary of CHC. The restructuring allowed CEC to better focus on the civil construction business.

In July 2014, CEC had a record TWD 64.2 billion ( approximately USD 2.13 billion) of work-on-hand. Projects completed or in the pipeline now range from civil infrastructure construction, condominiums, office high-rises, hospitals, and factory buildings, to five-star hotels, shopping malls, and other large structures.

In 2015, CEC celebrates its 70th birthday, ready for its next phase and challenges, building on a proud legacy of innovation and growth.

Beginnings

1936 - 1940

Glyn T. H. Ing was inspired throughout his life by the vision of a restored, transformed and prosperous China. For the young Ing, engineering was the pathway to accomplish his goals. In 1936, he graduated with a civil engineering degree from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China¡¦s foremost engineering school. Early positions with the Lung-Hai Railway Management Bureau and the Chuan-Kang Transportation Bureau gave him exposure to China¡¦s war-torn border regions in the northwest and southwest at the height of the anti-Japanese resistance.

Pioneer

1941 - 1947

Ing set up his core company, Wei Dah Corporation, in 1941, based in Chungking, Sichuan Province, during the period of anti-Japanese resistance. Its main business was the construction of military compounds, aircraft landing strips, and other defense facilities, but with the defeat of Japan and the end of the war in 1945, Wei Dah swiftly turned its attention to rebuilding the nation.

In 1945, Wei Dah was restructured as Continental Engineering Corporation (CEC), a name that symbolized Ing¡¦s dream of bringing restoration, transformation, and prosperity to the continent. CEC¡¦s corporate headquarters relocated to Shanghai after the war, and set up branch offices in Nanjing and Taipei as its business grew.

Move to Taiwan

1948

1948 was a year of rapid change in China¡¦s politics, when CEC moved its headquarters to Taipei and continued post-war reconstruction.

 

 

Growth

1949 - 1963

In 1949, Taiwan was still recovering from the Pacific War. There was huge demand for construction services. State-run and private construction companies alike experienced rapid growth.

From the beginning, CEC deployed advanced technology, raising the bar of overall industry standards and establishing a firm foundation for its future growth. CEC took the lead in introducing new technology, such as prepakt concrete pile, the most advanced construction technique in the world at the time, which it used at Taiwan¡¦s first nuclear reactor at Tsinghua University. Other major projects completed by CEC during this period included the Tunghai University dormitories designed by I. M. Pei; the Taipei Mosque; the 1000-bed Taipei Veterans General Hospital; US military bases; Hsinchu and Chingchuankang airport runways; aircraft hangers; the Office of the President; and the Shihlin to Dachi tunnel.

Taipei Mosque

Tunghai University dormitories

Setbacks

Kuang Wu Villa

Postal Center of Riyadh

1964 - 1985

In 1964, the government granted veteran-run RESA Engineering Corp. an effective monopoly on public construction projects, eliminating private sector competition in government construction.

CEC turned the setback into an opportunity by pursuing new markets overseas. CEC became the first construction company in Taiwan to engage in international construction, with projects in Okinawa, Malaysia, Singapore, and the Middle East.

Domestic projects completed during this period included technically challenging works such as Yuanshan Bridge, and Taipei¡¦s iconic landmark, the Grand Hotel. The Yuanshan Bridge was Taiwan¡¦s first and the world¡¦s longest span, balanced cantilever concrete structure bridge at the time. CEC also built Taiwan¡¦s first multi-story residential complex, Kuang Wu Villa, ushering in a whole new concept of urban living. At the time, this complex was the first of its kind in the bustling eastern district of Taipei.

Reform

1986 - 1994

In 1986, Ms. Nita Ing was appointed CEC President with a mandate to turn CEC from a family-run business into a modern, professionally managed corporation. It recruited professional managers by offering them performance-based career growth and rewards, and the opportunity to set strategic directions for the company as well as management.

CEC¡¦s recent projects have been among Taiwan¡¦s most technically complex. Its name is associated with advanced technology in engineering and construction, as well as its strong stance on environmental protection and building efficiency. It was a key contractor for the Taipei Metro, building its tunnels and underground stations, as well as taking on the technically challenging Bihtan Bridge. For this project, CEC developed the steel caissons that were used for deep foundation excavation, for which it won the Construction Technology Automation Award in 1992. CEC is no longer focused solely on civil engineering. During this period, it also re-energized its property business and began seeking scale expansion. Among the iconic projects of this period was award-winning residential development, ¡§The Village.¡¨

In 1994, CEC became a publicly listed company on the Taiwan Stock Exchange, a key step for business growth and success. Its listing helped it build the financial scale and human capital for larger and more complex civil engineering projects.

Rapid Growth

1995 - 2004

In 1998, CEC was one of the key contractors in the world¡¦s largest Build-Operate-Transfer project, the Taiwan High Speed Rail. This project was the single most significant infrastructure project in decades, and as Taiwan¡¦s first ¡§bullet train¡¨ has dramatically improved intra-island transport. CEC constructed the viaduct section from Changhua, Yuenlin, to Chiayi covering a total of 79.4 km (approximately 25% of the total route length of the project), and two technically challenging high-speed rail stations, at Taichung Wuri and Kaohsiung Zuoying.

In 1999, CEC was awarded its first turnkey project, the Taipei Metro Tucheng Line Extension contract CD550, including civil construction, track, rolling stock, signaling, power supply, system integration, testing, and commissioning.

The construction of high-speed rail and the metro system gave CEC opportunities to partner with leading German and Japanese contractors, an experience which has enabled CEC to improve its capabilities in design, construction, project management, and execution of mega-projects. These partnerships have helped build the foundation for CEC to expand into the overseas market in the coming years.

International Expansion

CEC restructured to allow for more focus on individual business sectors

2005 - 2015

Starting in 2005, CEC accelerated its exploration of international markets. It set up subsidiaries and branch offices in India, Hong Kong, Macau, and Malaysia, where it was awarded high-profile transportation projects.

In 2006, CEC acquired a significant interest in American Bridge Company (ABC), which served as a foothold in the US market.

In 2007, Nita Ing was elected chairman of the board and CEC was reorganized to better reflect strategic goals in the domestic and international markets. In 2010, Continental Holdings Corporation (CHC) was established to manage CEC and its affiliated companies. CHC was publicly listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange. CEC was then delisted and became a subsidiary of CHC. The restructuring allowed CEC to better focus on the civil construction business.

In July 2014, CEC had a record TWD 64.2 billion ( approximately USD 2.13 billion) of work-on-hand. Projects completed or in the pipeline now range from civil infrastructure construction, condominiums, office high-rises, hospitals, and factory buildings, to five-star hotels, shopping malls, and other large structures.

In 2015, CEC celebrates its 70th birthday, ready for its next phase and challenges, building on a proud legacy of innovation and growth.

The Holding Company

Member Companies